Sugar & Wheat Free, Skip the Choc Chips & It's Also Vegan
Food has been one of my greatest challenges, so when I transformed my body, I had to come up with substitutions that aligned with my new lifestyle.
This gooey delicious treat can be made in less than 10-minutes and the ingredients are part of my pantry basics.
I focus on sugar-free options as much as I can because I find it inflames me, and I like to be able to move…
Living in Australia it’s sometimes challenging to find healthy alternatives, so this recipe refers to local brands but the ingredients can be found in most places.
I’m a reluctant cook, so recipes have to be quick, easy, and delicious.
The reason why I try to be as sugar-free as possible is because it inflames my joints, and that can’t be good for you!
Check out the video because I’m far better at explaining how to do it, than writing a recipe.
- This recipe makes approximately 12 bars.
- They’re about 100 calories per slice, minus the ice cream. It will all depend on the ingredients you use. To be more accurate, pop your ingredients into MyFitnessPal’s Recipe Calculator.
- 1/4 cup applesauce – 🇦🇺 Ardmona Pie Fruit Apples Sliced (I blended them)
- 1 cup peanut butter – 🇦🇺 Pic’s Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp almond flour (see video for alternatives)
- 2/3 cup natural sweetner – 🇦🇺 stevia or erythritol
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips – 🇦🇺 Noshu Choc Baking Chips
- 2 tbsp milk of choice if required
Top this gooey deliciousness with ice cream. Note, many of these are almost sugar-free, but check the labels.
Here are other favorites:
Preheat oven to 350F / 165oC.
Combine all wet ingredients and mix well.
Add dry ingredients, except for chocolate chips. You’re aiming for a cookie-like dough. You can always add 1-2 tablespoons of milk if it’s too crumbly, don’t add all at once, just a little at a time, until you get the desired consistency.
Then add the chocolate chips.
Grab a baking pan, approx 23cm / 9 in, and line with baking paper.
Overall cooking time is about 10-minutes. I turn it at 5-minutes. Just watch it depending on your oven.
When you take it out, it won’t feel ‘set’, that’s OK, as that’s the gooey magic in action. Leave it for 30-minutes and it will set perfectly. You can refrigerate for about a week if it lasts that long 🙂